Monday 16 February 2009

Who's BAD?-13 Year Old Dad.




For the past few days I think a lot of people in the our proud nation of Great Britain have been watching the case, reported in the national newspapers, including “Metro” (2009), regarding a boy aged only thirteen becoming a father. The more I read the more bewildered I become. Firstly though, I would like to state that it is far from my will, or power, to be able to pass judgement on those involved, just rather that I do see many social problems entwined within what is happening; something to which I think we’re all accountable for, as we inhabit a society we have all had a part in creating.

As the story unfolds it is less easy for me to define who it is who has been “Being Bad”. Interviews with the young Alfie show just how immature he is; the same being for the slightly older Chantelle, now a mother at the age of fifteen. Can these two children really be held accountable for their ‘bad’ behaviour?

Have the parents of Alfie and Chantelle been ‘bad’ parents? No parent can, or would probably want to be constantly watching their children, but it obvious that there has been a serious lack of ‘good’ supervision somewhere along the line.

Then there are all the different official bodies who have become involved, such as health visitors, social and outreach workers, even the comments of a catholic priest have been stated. Many of these organisations have played a huge role in supporting the young couple. Has the information they have provided, alongside that of the sex education received in schools, been that of an over politically correct system gone ‘bad?’

As more boys queue up to claim that they might be the father of the newborn child, I find myself wondering who it is who is responsible for all this “Being Bad”.

No comments:

Post a Comment