Wednesday 25 February 2009

SHMOKIN' (Smoking), is it BAD??





Smoking is a funny old thing. Why do some people do it? Surely everyone knows that that it is ‘bad’ and has the potential to seriously shorten their life and give them a highly undesirable end. Even those who do not die as a direct result of smoking usually suffer some adverse effects, which may include loss of breath, low immune system, coughing, stained teeth, cravings, smell…….. the list could go on……. I think the cost is also worth mentioning as well though.

I smoked for over 10 years and suffered from all of these, apart from death, obviously, although I did have a few near misses as I still have a scar from 1999 when I fell asleep smoking a cigarette in bed and then rolled onto it, luckily putting it out in the process. The pain still haunts me to this day though.

I stopped smoking the day I was baptised, July 1st 2007, which strangely enough happened to coincide with the day smoking in public places was banned. I mostly went cold turkey, although I did resort to occasionally using the most minging ash tray tasting type of nicotine gum for a brief time at the beginning. Previously I had tried many ways to quit the ‘bad’ habit which included using nicotine patches, Zyban (a medical drug that reduces craving), those weird plastic nicotine inhalers that look like tampons and I even tried knitting a scarf to give my hands something to do. Even to this day I still get the odd craving, usually after a meal or with alcohol. I also understand the wonderful camaraderie that smokers experience when forced out into the open to brave the elements.

I really do not want to say that it is ‘bad’ and that that is that. I am not one of those reformed smokers who tries to convert everyone else to my clean and free of addiction type of life. However, I do believe that smoking is ‘bad’ for any individual and it is ‘bad’ for those around the smoker, especially children who are often forced to suffer the consequences of another’s actions.

Now free of this addiction I seriously pray that I never become a slave to its grips again. ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment